Welcome to South Heighton Village Hall
South Heighton Village Hall was originally South Heighton School, built in 1860. Constructed mainly of local flint the school, comprising a single classroom and attached house for the Schoolmaster, was very similar to others built in neighbouring villages during the same period.
During the 1890s, the population of the village increased considerably. A new cement works with a workforce of 250 men transformed the village. The population grew from under 100 to over 500 within a few years. As a result, the school was extended and another classroom was added.
The school continued to operate until 1969. Following closure, the building was left in trust to the local citizens and started a new life as the village hall. The Schoolmaster’s house became a private residence.
The village hall is run by an elected management committee and the money required for upkeep and repairs is raised by letting the premises to local organisations, including the WI and South Heighton Parish Council for their monthly meetings, and for private functions. The committee organises monthly bingo nights, jumble sales and other events, including South Heighton’s bonfire night with a torchlit procession and fireworks.
We are indebted to Ian Everest for the historical information contained above.