A brief history of South Heighton Village Hall
The building now used as the village hall was built in 1860 as South Heighton school. Constructed mainly of local flint the school, comprising a single classroom and attached house for the School Master, it was very similar to others built in neighbouring villages during the same period.
During the 1890s, the population of the village increased considerably. A new cement works with a workforce of 250 men transformed the village, and the population grew from under 100 to over 500 within a few years. As a result, the school was extended and another classroom was added.
The school continued to operate until 1969. Following closure, the building was left in trust to the local citizens and started a new life as the village hall. The School Master’s house became a private residence.
The village hall is run by an elected management committee and the money required for upkeep and repairs is raised by letting the premises for use by local organisations, including the Women’s Institute and South Heighton Parish Council, and for private functions. In addition, the committee runs monthly bingo evenings, the annual bonfire night which includes a procession and firework display, and the annual village summer fête.
We are indebted to Ian Everest for the historical information contained above.