South Heighton Bonfire Night 2019
Saturday 9th November
Welcome to our village bonfire and fireworks information page.
Please note the following:
- This is a traditional Sussex bonfire and fireworks celebration. Although we are very much a family-friendly event, you should expect loud and sudden noises, and bright explosions. You may consider that it is not suitable for babies and young children to be present. It can be frightening if you are not used to it or of a nervous disposition.
- When watching the procession stay well back on the pavement for your own safety and NEVER pick up discarded torches or flares as they will be very hot. These will be picked up by the ‘fire carts’ following the end of the procession.
- Whilst at the fire site stay behind any barriers which have been erected for your safety.
- Follow any instructions given by you by the any of the Society Marshals or Security Team (who will be wearing high-visibility jackets).
- Only members of Bonfire Societies may march in the procession. No members of the public are permitted to handle torches.
- Discharging fireworks on a public highway is a criminal offence.
- Regretfully there is no disabled parking around the fire site and no suitable mobility vehicle/wheelchair access to the fire site. This is due to vehicle restrictions in place around the site and the likely conditions of the ground underfoot.
We thank you for your cooperation and hope you have an enjoyable and safe evening.
Finally, we remind you that you are choosing to attend our event at your own risk – we will not accept responsibility for any personal injury, loss or damage to property.
The procession will form up near the Flying Fish in Denton, moving off at approximately 6.30pm. We will then proceed along the procession route until we get to the Hampden Arms where there we will stop for a short period before reforming and carrying on down the hill to the firesite at South Heighton recreation ground. Fireworks will go off at approximately 8pm.
- Adults (18+) £4 – accompanied under 18s free (up to 3 per family).
- If you are under the age of 18 you will not be admitted unless accompanied by an adult (who may be required to provide proof of age).
- We recommend that you get to the field early to avoid the rush.
- No advance ticket sales, pay on gate only.
The roads along the procession route are subject to a rolling road closure between 5:30pm and 9:00pm. It is likely that they will be no traffic movement on any of the procession route between 6:30pm and 7:00pm but before and after this the majority of the roads will be open/partially open. There will be traffic management in place during this time to direct vehicles. The Hollow and the area around the fire site will be completely closed from 5:30pm until 9pm.
Please do not park on the procession route during the road closure period.
Unfortunately we have no designated parking for the event and parking around the village is limited. We strongly recommend that if you are coming to the event you use public transport.